The Greulich hotel, housed in a renovated industrial building, is an intimate town hotel with 18 junior suites and rooms, a restaurant and bar-lounge, as well as a banquet room, all reflecting the reduced styles of the late seventies.
In the calm interior courtyard birch trees replace the traditional hotel garden. Landscape architect Günther Vogt saved the 160 birch trees from an Expo in Murten.
An almost anonymous side entrance leads into the small hotel lobby, bar and restaurant. The atmosphere is ligh and airy with natural wood panelling and terrazzo floors. The windows and columns are painted a satiny grey.
The hotel rooms, located in two separate buildings, are reached through the birch grove.
Another courtyard, open for dining during the summer months, is paved with sky blue tiles. A long narrow water pool and a natural cedar slat wall, separating the two courtyards, add a Zen touch to the exterior.
The banquet/meeting room overlooks the birch planted courtyard.
The rooms and garden suites have minimalist furnishings and neutral color schemes by Jean Pfaff; a Swiss artist well-known for his monochrome paintings of the late eighties.
Manager: Luzia Penner
Head chef: David Martinez Salvany from Spain.
Cuisine at the Greulich is based on the “Slow Food” philosophy.
Named after the Swiss social reformer Hermann Greulich (1842 – 1925).
The Greulich opened its doors to guests on July 15th., 2003